St. Bede the Venerable School: Developing students who are people of faith, academically prepared, responsible learners and globally aware
- Attention to educating the whole child: mind, body and spirit
- Strong academic environment
- Active faith community
- Modern computer lab integrating technology and curriculum
- Extensive extra-curricular and after school activities
- Experienced teachers, averaging 16 years at St. Bede the Venerable School
- WCEA/WASC accredited
St. Bede the Venerable School is a fully-accredited and co-educational Kindergarten through Grade 8 Catholic school, located in La Cañada Flintridge, California. The school is accredited by the Western Catholic Educational Association (WCEA) and is co-accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Established in 1952 by the Sisters of St. Louis, and currently under the leadership of Principal Ralph Valente, a dedicated team of administrators and faculty successfully serves over 250 children, guided by its vision to enable students’ “hidden selves to grow strong” (Eph. 3:16).
St. Bede the Venerable School has been part of the Character Counts! Program since 2009 and was nationally recognized by the Character Counts! Program in 2011. For other student enrichment programs, please see the Academic Enrichment page.
St. Bede the Venerable School students’ academic achievement ranks in the top 5% of all Los Angeles Archdiocese schools. Graduates matriculate to their top choice high schools, including:
- Clark Magnet High School
- Flintridge Preparatory School
- Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy
- Immaculate Heart High School
- La Cañada High School
- La Crescenta High School
- La Salle High School
- Loyola High School
- Maranatha High School
- Mayfield Senior School
- Notre Dame High School
- Polytechnic School
- Saint Francis High School
For information about curriculum by grade, please go to the Academic Enrichment page or the Classrooms Tab.
To develop a strong Christian community that is aware of the presence of God in people, things, and events encountered daily and rooted in a faith enlivened by freedom, knowledge and love.
To help each student develop certain academic and critical thinking skills that will enable him/her to reflect on reality and integrate it into his/her life.
To create a climate in which each student can grow to his/her full potential, recognizing his/her weaknesses as well as his/her strengths and be able to appreciate himself/herself as a unique individual.
To give each student the necessary understanding of his/her place, role and responsibilities in the many groups of society to which he/she belongs.
To help each student develop his/her physical abilities and talents and to integrate these into his/her life. Our children enjoy Physical Education twice a week and participate in the Presidential Council of Physical Fitness annually.
A graduate of Saint Bede the Venerable School is:
A person of faith who:
- Is developing a Christian moral conscience
- Has basic understanding of the fundamental doctrines and principles of the Roman Catholic faith
- Is a member of a Catholic Community with a history and a tradition
- Worships with the church community through prayer, liturgy, and the sacraments
- Is called to service to others
An academically prepared person who:
- Has a foundation in the basic skills in the academic discipline
- Has the tools to communicate verbal, written, and oral ideas effectively
- Is developing study skills to promote lifelong learning
- Uses critical thinking skills, problem solving, and scientific concepts in practical life experiences
- Is knowledgeable of technical advances as a tool for learning
- Has been exposed to various forms of expressions in the fine arts
A responsible learner who:
- Is self-disciplined
- Is pursuing knowledge independently to become a fully developed person
- Appreciates the values of good sportsmanship and teamwork
- Is developing the importance of good health and fitness in his/her daily life
- Is awakening to the nature and his/her role in various social institutions
- Shares ideas, insights, and achievements and appreciates those shared by others
A person of global awareness who:
- Is aware of the underlying commonalties which unite all human beings
- Is aware of the rights and responsibilities of a citizen
- Is aware that our actions impact our local and global environment
- Is developing an appreciation of the views and values of others
- Realizes an obligation to contribute his/her gifts and talents to the improvement of the world
- Acknowledges the values of respect, courtesy, and tolerance in all areas of life